We are now seeking a friendly and hardworking individual to come and join us as on a permanent basis an Underwriting Assistant in our fantastic Offshore Underwriting team. We are looking for candidates that are happy to work in a support role providing efficient and timely assistance to the Underwriters. The role is the perfect entry level starting point for you to learn about P&I insurance and the maritime industry whilst learning on the job about the principals and practices of the Underwriting role. We are happy to offer support and encouragement to study for professional qualifications should you want to further your knowledge.
We also have a hybrid working model (2 days in the office / 3 days remote).
Overall responsibility of the Role
To provide administrative support for the underwriting team in providing a liability solution to cover the operational needs of the Insured.
- To provide a high level of service to Members through the prompt and accurate preparation of Members’ documentation, highlighting any service issues upwards.
- To fully adhere to the Underwriting Procedures Manual and all processes therein.
- To advise account handler of outstanding premium position before documentation is produced and released in accordance with Underwriting Procedures Manual.
- To develop and maintain good working relationships at peer level within Brokers.
- To deal with queries by telephone/letter/email from external parties and ensure prompt resolution.
- To ensure that service levels are maintained during the absence of colleagues, answering basic queries and referring upwards the need for any technical response.
- To participate in training sessions to develop the skills and knowledge required for the effective performance of the role.
- To ensure sanctions screening has been undertaken on Members, other named parties and all vessels, and any hits resolved, prior to binding cover or processing MTA’s.
- To complete a minimum 15 hours Continuous Professional Development annually.
- Previous Underwriting Assistant experience an advantage but not essential.
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritise and organise workload in order to meet tight deadlines.
- Good listening skills and a quick and willing learner.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Must be able to work alone but also contribute as part of a team.
- Desire to gain knowledge and skills and develop further professional skills.
- Educated to A level or Graduate level (or equivalent).
Candidates must be eligible to work and be living in the UK.