We are now seeking a Claims Executive, legally qualified in either England, Singapore or another common law jurisdiction to join us on a permanent basis. The successful candidate will be enthusiastic and a quick learner with a desire to develop in a friendly and supportive insurance company. This is a great opportunity for someone to join a strong, cohesive and experienced team, whilst building on their previous legal experience.
We recognise the business benefits of having a diverse and inclusive community. We all have something unique to bring to the table and by embracing those differences we seek to build and maintain an environment which attracts and values diversity and where everyone can develop their talents and be themselves. For us, diversity and inclusion goes above and beyond focusing on protected characteristics – we want all our colleagues to bring 100% of themselves to work. With a happy and engaged workforce we all strive to work together to be the best that we can be for the mutual benefit of ourselves and our Members.
Overall responsibility of the Role
To provide sensitive, responsive, imaginative and cost effective claims handling and general support to Members and Brokers with claims issues.
- To manage proper handling of own claim files, including file husbandry in accordance with current claims procedures manual.
- To maintain accurate estimates on each file.
- To prepare reports including; agenda notes, notification to reinsurers, Club circulars etc.
- To report to, and assist Loss Prevention department, the Head of Claims – Singapore and the relevant Underwriter where a claims trend is detected.
- To report in writing notification of large claims
- To share knowledge, information and experience across the Claims team and department as a whole.
- To develop the skills and knowledge required for the effective performance of the role by participating in and actively contributing to training and development activities.
- To work with Underwriters to identify, attract, develop and retain business for the mutual benefit of the Club.
- To assist the Head of Claims – Singapore and Claims Managers with or take the lead with ad-hoc Club projects.
- Legal qualification
- Prefer three years of experience in a P&I or Defence Club.
- Solid foundation and understanding of International Group P&I Club aims, objectives, structures and finances.
- Good working knowledge of the International Group P&I Clubs approach to claims to ensure efficient service delivery.
- Detailed understanding of the foundations of shipping law.
- Detailed understanding the application of shipping law
- Competent in writing coherent and comprehensive agenda notes on own claims and reports to reinsurers.
- Competent in attending meetings with Members and/or brokers and able to contribute effectively in a professional manner.
- The ability to:
- Where necessary, appropriately appoint correspondents/lawyers/experts.
- Identify and evaluate evidence.
- Analyse liability and quantum.
- Litigate, arbitrate, mediate or settle by negotiation.
- Competent in travelling to visit Members/brokers who have generated claims.
Candidate must be eligible to work in Singapore.